NoVa XA had a dinner+movie Saturday night! Food was amazing, as always. It was a team effort right? I was hoping to see some non XA people to come. I assumed they were "regulars" because when I came to my first Summer XA Bible study, it seemed like it was not the first time for them. When they didn't come, I was bummed. (I hope I didn't offend them when I "preached" about secular music. Oops.) At some point in the night, I realized that this was Nova XA, made to help those in Chi Alpha to be consistent with the Lord during the summer! I'm not saying that it should be restricted to only Chi Alpha. It's good to talk about Jesus with fellow believers from their viewpoint and share thoughts. Jordan was able to come and it was great to see another fellow bible study brother!
I've been reading Isaiah in July and it's been fruitful. Of course, I know that I will have to re-read the book because I know I missed some things, especially in the beginning. Isn't it wonderful to know that God will always be stable in our lives, providing wisdom and strength of salvation by fearing Him (Isaiah 33:6)? I brought up the topic of "Fearing the Lord" on Thursday night. How does one truly fear the Lord, especially in 2012?
After I watched Father of Lights, I read more about the film on its website. The first paragraph mentions and connects the two other movies in the trilogy, Finger of God and Furious Love, to Father of Lights. It says that the first two movies were about God's power and love, while Father of Lights is about God's heart. When I read that, I was astounded. Then, I thought about how God's heart applied to Father of Lights and I quickly found that I couldn't just isolate God's heart: God's power and love applies to where his heart is. In SICM, we learned about the attributes of God. We don't deal with one attribute one-at-a-time and love isn't his main attribute, where others are secondary. All of his attributes are there all the time, in all that he does! (Inside joke: recycling is good.)
I was obsessed with Bethel Music for about two weeks, but now I have a Phil Wickham craze. It started Friday haha. I kept replaying "True Love" after Wednesday and I eventually explored his other albums, Response and Heaven and Earth. I went on Grooveshark and listened to Response first. I had to rearrange the songs in the correct order that the actual album has it in so that was already a bad first impression. When I listened to the first song, "Heaven Fall Down," it wiped out that bad first impression. After that, I kept on liking song after song. When I tried out Heaven and Earth, I continued liking song after song.. Picking three songs from these two albums was tough, so I recommend listening to all of the songs in both albums! haha!
I chose "The Time is Now" because it was earhappy! I think I have a weakness for string instruments, such as the violin, because they grabbed my attention and they are beautiful. When I listen to this song, I hear peace and harmony, along with joy and light. I see white doves flying over a land in bright sunlight with green grass and trees. In addition, Isaiah 11:6-9 and 32:17.
"Sisters, Brothers, thieves, and lovers,
Come on, come on, eternity
Turn your faces, with fine eyed places,
Heaven's grace will set you free."
I like that part because this peace and harmony is not only limited to those who love Christ when it mentions "thieves". When Jesus lived, he spent most of time with sinners or those who reject God so that they may receive salvation. When Christ died, he gave us the opportunity to receive adoption as sons of God (Gal 4:5).
Song: The Time is Now
Album: Heaven and Earth
Artist: Phil Wickham
Lyrics: http://www.newreleasetuesday.com/lyricsdetail.php?lyrics_id=65475 <-- I believe it's also a christian-themed website!
This next song also has strings that grabbed my attention..Cielo means heaven in Spanish and Italian. Phil Wickham says, "The lyrics describe a man waking up in heaven, seeing God and being overwhelmed along with light and beauty of the place." I also picture peace and harmony here, like in "The Time is Now", but more in slow-motion. In slow motion, I can take time to truly gaze the beauty on this land and be thankful of the wonderful scenes and give glory to God.
Talk about a first impression. I love this. And then it continues:
- Being Spontaneous, with Purpose
"And I can’t lift my hands high enough, lift my hands high enough
When I’m reaching for You my God"
I pictured a child attempting to try his best to reach for his or her beloved cookie jar that's on top of a cabinet. That cookie jar is what the child wants the most and at the same time, God is what we're reaching for. We keep on trying to reach and reach because we know if we keep reaching, we'll be able to get what we desire in our hearts, which is God! Yes, I'm comparing a cookie jar to God...
Song: Cielo
Album: Heaven and Earth
Artist: Phil Wickham
"If You are the sun
Then I wanna be the moon
I want to reflect the light
That shines from You"
Talk about a first impression. I love this. And then it continues:
"And if this is war
Then I'm gonna draw my sword
This time I know what I'm fighting for"
Those words blew my mind... Beautiful words. Astronomy and its mysteries always interested me ever since I was little child. Elegant and beautiful describe the wonderful poetry in this song...
Song: Sun and Moon
Album: Response
Artist: Phil Wickham
Another thought: I always thought Chris Tomlin sang "At Your Name" but I found out on Friday that Phil sings it...
I just love how our Lord is the ultimate king, one who we can depend on and trust, one who will cover and protect us from the evils of the world, one who loves, and one who gives grace.
For the Lord is our judge; the Lord is our lawgiver; the Lord is our king; he will save us. (Isaiah 33:22)
No comments:
Post a Comment