On the previous post, I mentioned that Irene suggested that I listen to Jonathan David Helser. Well, technically she only asked if I've listened to his new album, On the Shores. I knew Jonathan David Helser and some of his songs from his other album, Long Story Short. On that note, "You're Never Giving Up" and "God of the Angel Armies" are just some of the great songs in that album. Yesterday, I was still stuck on a "Phil Wickham" craze. I was really unsure how long I would be stuck on Phil Wickham. Irene was the third person to suggest this album to me this year so I thought I would try it out.
"On The Shores" gave a good first impression. It's energetic and filled with joy and happiness. It actually reminded me of The Loft Sessions from Bethel Music and their style.
Song: On The Shores
Artist: Jonathan David Helser & Melissa Helser
Album: On The Shores
A video with lyrics!
"Love Song" also reminded me of The Loft Sessions.
Song: Love Song
Artist: Jonathan David Helser & Melissa Helser
Album: On The Shores
Lyrics: http://worshiprelease.com/category/jonathan-helser/page/2/ (Need to Scroll down)
I first heard "Wrecking Ball" when Jenna played it in the "upstairs Chi Alpha house". When I was listening to it again today, I smiled and let out a joyful laughter. I remembered that she described its lyrics: "These lyrics are fun and funny!"
Song: Wrecking Ball
Artist: Jonathan David Helser & Melissa Helser
Album: On The Shores
Oh what a wonderful lyric video....
Jonathan Helser isn't really well-known, compared to Hillsong or Chris Tomlin, so it took more time to search for some of their lyrics. It's a good thing God provides! I think someone mentioned that he came to Dwelling Place and led worship once two years ago? It's the church I go to in Christiansburg (Excited to see you guys soon in the August!). When I talked to someone in NoVa and he said he's heard of Jonathan David Helser, that really surprised me! He mentioned that he like his music because it was raw. I agreed with that. He uses few instruments in his songs, but at the same time, he doesn't take away too many instruments.
Today's ending bible verse is very special to me. I probably read it in the past and didn't think about while small group was reading through Exodus. It provides one of many descriptions of my testimony. I saw God's power and heart at work during Fall Retreat. I asked Stephen for a playlist of some of the songs that were played during that weekend. He couldn't remember all of the songs, but he added some extra songs to fill in. I don't know if I should describe that playlist as "steroids" but it did a superb job of keeping my mind on the Lord instead of the world and it is still a foundation of my faith. To wrap everything together, God's strength (power & heart) and song (worship playlist) has been leading me to salvation! God has truly been my song; secular music (Yes, secular music --> Inside joke w/ NoVa XA) is something that I rarely listen to. God's songs fill my ears and mind. Now, I praise and exalt him all the days of my life! =]
The Lord is my strength and my song, and he has become my salvation; this is my God, and I will praise him, my father's God , and I will exalt him. (Exodus 15:2)
- Spontaneous, with Purpose
No comments:
Post a Comment