Thursday, July 26, 2012

How Can I Comprehend The Beauty That Has No End

Last Sunday was the debut of this blog to VT Chi Alpha! I hope you all liked it! Please notify me of comments, concerns, and/or suggestions if you have any. August is also right around the corner! I've kinda been counting down the days so they would go by slower. Funny how in June, I desperately wanted to go back and now, and now I wish I could stay away for just a bit longer.

I kept myself busy pretty much all of July with random activities, until yesterday. Tuesday was an odd day. Afternoon had arrived and the flow in my everyday life suddenly stopped. I found myself with extra time that I did not know how to use. Part of it is a result of spiritual growth in Christ. As I grow towards Christ, I begin to develop new habits and lose some old ones. A TV show that I would watch everyday for 2 hours turned into a TV show that I would watch only if I was eating food (since I'll be near the TV). Unfortunately, I ended up watching a movie and a previously recorded episode of another TV show. I could have used the time in a more glorifying way for God, but I'll learn from this experience.

For these past few days, I've been getting more distracted during my time with the Lord. In Isaiah, I'd have to re-read certain verses multiple times so they would register in my mind. It takes up more time, but I don't mind because I learn and practice patience. This morning, I read Isaiah 53 and wow did some of the stuff feel overwhelming! It's always a pleasure to read about Jesus in the Old Testament but to hear God talk about His servant (aka Jesus) and his death with perfection just blew my mind. I was already overjoyed halfway through the chapter! I had to take several pauses after certain verses to take a breather and to soak up its fullness. These are some powerful phrases that I read: "and with his wounds we are healed", "yet he opened not his mouth; like a lamb that is led to the slaughter", "although he had done no violence, and there was no deceit in his mouth", "and he shall bear their iniquities", "yet he bore the sin of many, and makes intercession for the transgressors." The amazing thing is that God said these words through Isaiah centuries before Jesus was known!

I love reading the New Testament after knowing some of the prophecies in the Old Testament. Whenever I see a connection, I humble myself even more to God. I reviewed some of Philippians and Colossians and I'm currently on 2 Corinthians. With a lot of rich stuff in 2 Corinthians, it's really hard to pick and choose verses to talk about.Though, I could never read enough of 2 Cor 5:20, "Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God," aka Chi Alpha's motto.

Also, I started to read The Glorious Pursuit again. Anthony asked a couple people if we wanted to read some books over break and I accepted. Except, that was back in December for winter break. In May, I jokingly promised to Anthony (is that even wise?) that I'd read and finish the book this summer. So far it's been really wonderful, so wonderful that I've started taking notes. About 8 pages (super small notebook!) of notes in 3 chapters. I'm determined to finish it before my arrival to Blacksburg.

I also have another book that is waiting to be read. One reason that I don't read these books is because I couldn't find peace to read them. I thought that if I could spend some time reading any book, I would be better off reading God's word in the Bible itself. On Tuesday night though, I received that peace, started reading The Glorious Pursuit, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Currently learning about the virtues of Christ!

The album, onething LIVE: Magnificent Obsession, became available to purchase this Tuesday also. It contains a collection of songs recorded during IHOP's Onething conference in late December. I eagerly waited for this album even though the song that I hoped for was not included in the final tracklist. Still, the album contains great songs. More information about the album can actually be found on their website: http://www.ihopkc.org/music/albums/onething-live-magnificent-obsession/.

"There Is Only One" starts off with the words and image, "There He sits, upon a throne." Good enough song description already, right? The chorus expresses God's uniqueness and majesty when it says, "There is only One." Misty Edwards beautifully complements the chorus with the words, "Jesus Christ, Jesus Christ, the Lamb upon the throne, forever." I've always been a fan of Misty Edwards, her voice and talent, and how she uses those gifts to give glory to God!

Song: There Is Only One
Artist: IHOPKC Worship, Brandon Hampton & Misty Edwards
Album: onething LIVE: Magnificent Obsession

Lyrics: https://s3.amazonaws.com/ihopkc-fmg/chords-lyrics/magnificent-obsession/There+Is+Only+One-BHampton.pdf (Includes chords)


Did I tell you I'm a fan of Misty Edwards? Misty exhibits her songwriting ability in the song, "Measure of a Man." It's wonderful poetry about how a man's heart and love for Jesus should be used to describe him, or something like that. Even now, I still try to comprehend parts of the song, searching for a deeper meaning. David Brymer provides another voice in the song and the music. It's wonderful poetry about how a man's heart and love for Jesus should be used to describe him.

"The measure of a man is the measure of his heart.
The measure of a man is the measure of his love."

*I aim to pursue Jesus with earnestness that when people think of me, they think of Jesus-like virtues, not for popularity and boasting, but for the glory of God.

Song: Measure of a Man
Artist: Misty Edwards & David Brymer
Album: Measure of Love

Lyrics: http://www.ihopkc.org/music/files/2011/12/Measure-of-a-Man-Lyrics.pdf (Includes chords)


But thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of him everywhere. For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing, to one a fragrance from death to death, to the other a fragrance from life to life. (2 Cor 2:14-16a)

-Spontaneous, with Purpose

No comments:

Post a Comment