Today, the sun is working hard. The heat goes right through the windows here but I shouldn't be surprised, it's past the middle of June.
I'm impressed at how the Bible still relates to present-day themes despite its age. Psalm 73 can assert to that. It says, "For I was envious of the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked" (Psalm 73:3). It took me around 10 seconds to confess to myself that I have done that before. Then the psalm continues on and the writer starts ranting about these people, similar to how a sibling would complain to parents about the another sibling's fortunes, "It's not fair!"
"They are not in trouble as others are; they are not stricken like the rest of mankind. Therefore pride is their necklace; violence covers them as a garment" (Psalm 73:5-6). You would think, "I'm suffering for you God! Yet, why are these prosperous people living a life of wickedness and sin and love it?" After the the rant, the writer calms down and in my opinion, probably thinks, "Why?" (Psalm 73:15) Now, between verses 16 and 17, I imagine an imaginary light bulb lighting up. Think of it as a homework problem that you're stuck at and then you just have a random thought and boom(!), an idea strikes your mind and you figure it out. "But when I thought how to understand this, it seemed to me a wearisome task, until I went into the sanctuary of God; then I discerned their end" (Psalm 73:16-17) Of course, from the previous comparison, God is not a random thought!
The person then compares his or her own life to the wicked's and realizes the difference of their eternities. The wicked will fall and get what they deserve (Psalm 73:18-19). Then the person repents of even thinking about this (Psalm 73:21-22) and starts to praise the Lord and declares, "There is nothing on earth that I desire besides you" (Psalm 73:25)
As humans, we're not perfect. As Christians, we're walking towards a narrow gate and it will be difficult (Matt 7:14). We'll eventually lose our balance and get distracted (Psalm 73:2). We'll all stumble once in a while and do things that the Lord hates! We must reset and remember that God is our portion forever.
"But when I thought how to understand this, it seemed to me a wearisome task, until I went into the sanctuary of God; then I discerned their end." (Psalm 73:16-17)
- Being Spontaneous, with Purpose
No comments:
Post a Comment