Move-in
Is there such a thing as a stress-free move-in? Not for me. Saturday was stressful, but it ended well.
Cranwell Is Where It’s At
Ramon typed up a facebook post asking if anyone was available to help volunteer for Cranwell. Cranwell is Virginia Tech’s international center. I quickly sent him the text because I could not procrastinate this opportunity. I already planned on sending an email to see if I could volunteer for any event at Cranwell and Ramon’s post was so opportunistic. I did not know what I would be volunteering for, but I just wanted to be involved with them as soon as possible. Ramon informed me the next morning that I would be helping out for the orientation day for international students. I met many friendly Global Ambassadors and helped them set up the some of the designs in the Squires ballroom. Their staff seemed strict and tough at first, but I later concluded that they were just working really hard for the day. After the introduction at Squires, the students followed their assigned Global Ambassador for some small group introductions and played some ice breakers. I helped out Olivia’s group that day. She had one of the biggest groups with about 26 or 27 exchange students. Their accents and voices really intrigued me since I heard many different accents in a short amount of time. After small group introductions, we went to D2 for lunch. It was my first time there in a long time! I ended up late there so I had only one plate, but I was not very hungry at that time. During our breaks, Olivia and I would give out some Virginia Tech traditional knowledge, such as VT sports information and facts about the campus. After lunch, we went to Randolph for some “advising” but apparently there really was no advising, just old information. Then, we walked to Torg Bridge for software, but we found out that exchange students did not need any of the software due to their short period of time at VT. Software pick-up was the last thing for the afternoon so Olivia released her group and we went to Squires Breakzone. We found Rayan (aka Mr. Strong British accent) and another Global Ambassador there with some students from Turkey. I watched them play bowling then I tried one game of table tennis. I need practice on that. After Breakzone was an optional library tour. I skipped out on that to rest. It was about 5pm at that time. I only planned on volunteering from 8am to 5pm but I had a lot of fun and decided to go to Cranwell’s free dinner at 7pm. Thank you God for making that decision so easy. The night concluded the day with relaxation and fun. I had a great time talking, playing, and learning from these international students and Global Ambassadors. I really just let God lead me during the dinner. Usually, I’d follow someone I knew (like Ramon) but that night I looked for conversation and conversation I found. I didn’t talk to many students, but I was very intentional with the conversations I had with the few students. I met a student who was part of NLCF who regularly visited BCM’s Friday night free food event. Matt Husband actually introduced me to this event back in July. He mentioned that international students attended that event. I plan on attending some of those nights this semester. Then Ramon and I talked to a Global Ambassador who followed Jesus. While we walked her back to her home, we conversed about Jesus and missions. Hearing Jesus from other people was a great conclusion to the day. I loved that day because I was not attracted to their offering of free food. Interacting with Cranwell’s staff, Global ambassadors, and international students is worth way more than free food. If I had to pay money to help out, I would have still texted Ramon. Wow, I already have a highlight of the year and the semester did not even start yet! I look forward to being around Cranwell this year. I think I already want to go to MOSAIC during Thanksgiving. I loved the experience. Thank you Ramon and Olivia!
Bible
I’m almost done with John! What will my next Gospel be? God will tell me. I’m in 1 Samuel also. I must be patient in the Old Testament because I take some time to find fruit in the Word. Romans has been wonderful for me. However, I know that I should already re-read the book because of weirdly worded phrases from Paul. I just read chapter 12 and 13 and I really wanted to highlight/mark the whole chapter! I just need to be patient because I’m in a new environment with many distractions. Soon, these distractions will become a regular thing and won’t affect me as much.
Friday
For the last full day in Ashburn, I played basketball with my high school friends. I was actually supposed to come to Blacksburg on Thursday with Jackson but they could only play basketball on Friday. So I canceled my plans with Jackson and stayed. I really didn’t have much contact with them over this summer. I had moved from Illinois to Virginia so I was new to the school, as a senior. These friends are the ones who gave me a chance during my senior year in high school. They have a place in my heart, whether they know it or not. Hanging out with them on Friday was important for me. Though, not a lot of Jesus was talked about that night, I have faith that it will come soon.
Jesus Culture
This song has been stuck in my heart and mind. It starts with, “My heart aches for you, my God.” All week long, I feel like my heart has been aching for Him. However, I have been leaning towards racing to God alone rather than with others. I’ll need some prayers for that. My times with God fill up with intimacy so easily this week.
Song: You Are Faithful
Artist: Jesus Culture
Album: Consumed
Lyrics:
My experience with Cranwell was lively, entertaining, and fun! I know I have few more things to learn but I’m willing. I read Romans 12:9 that morning and I lived it out. I truly believe that I loved genuinely. That’s been something I’ve been thinking about. “What if I am not intentional with these people?” “What if I can’t love them?” It’s a good thing God took care of those questions. Thank you Jesus.
Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good. Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. (Romans 12:9-10)
No comments:
Post a Comment