Pre-WMS:
I first heard about the World Missions Summit early in 2012. I went to SALT last year and I loved the idea of Chi Alpha's coming together for a conference. However, SALT only brought together regional Chi Alpha groups. Pure excitement came when I found out that the World Missions Summit gathered all the Chi Alpha organizations across the U.S. and more across the world. When I found out that it would replace SALT in 2013, I decided that I was going to go.
One day, Michael Panton (SICM buddy from UVA) messaged me and said that he was going to the World Missions Summit. I got really excited because I remember repeatedly mentioning the World Missions Summit to everyone in that beach house! Even better, he got to ride along with VT people for at least 41 hours! =)
Heading into the conference, I knew and admitted that I put too much time thinking about the social part of the conference. "How can I efficiently use my free time to be with certain people", "How can I efficiently use the long bus rides to build on friendships?", "I wonder how New Year's is gonna go compared to SALT", and such pretty much were my thought process. (Notice how I think about efficiency: Engineer mindset)
I knew that was the wrong mindset to have and so I prayed and prayed so that Jesus would prepare my heart for such a conference.
Bus Ride
I thought it needed a section. So, we left between 1:30pm - 2:00pm. I didn't think the bus ride was as bad as some thought or described. Every time we went to eat (usually at McDonald's *yuck*), my motivation was to find an outlet to charge my phone. I got very little sleep on the bus because it was uncomfortable but I didn't let that put me in a bad mood. I ended up giving up at around 2am, but with joy. Wonderful! The van was wonderful though, sleep happened.
@Fort Worth! -> "Give a year, pray for a lifetime"
I think we arrived at about.. 10:30am? We ended up staying at the Hilton (wow!). Once all the registration was done (at hotel and convention center), I ended up taking a power nap. I was exhausted. Dick Brogden spoke and he spoke with power. His tone and style of preaching that night changed me from a tourist to a student, or disciple, ready to learn. For 2 days, we had 7 hour periods total to visit exhibits, sessions, or missionaries at the Exhibit Hall. Then we had four provided meals with a missionary, which is basically six people and a missionary at a table.
"Because I Care"
After visiting a few exhibits, I realized that a lot of time and effort was put in for this conference. The World Missions Summit truly has the power to change lives. Many friendships were formed and strengthened during this conference. Thank you Jesus for healing my friendships!! :) I loved seeing a great attendance from my small group! I'm glad Klint and Jordan went because they normally don't hang out with the VTXA community. I could see that they both had a great time! The XAi session (Chi Alpha International) gave me a new perspective on international ministry, mainly by emphasizing its importance on campuses. One of my favorite parts was when VTXA got together and shared their experiences. Hearing my brothers and sisters declare a certain location where they want to serve God just amazes me. Even though it seemed like God moved through others more than me, I'm not jealous. I know that comparison kills. I'm very thankful that I could be a witness to His works and His glory!
Since I at least have at two and half more years at Virginia Tech, I'll be focusing on putting Heaven on VT. Once graduation comes closer, I may consider giving back to the Philippines, my home country! :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Holy Spirit flowed throughout the conference! There were times where I felt spoiled by its presence...you know? Oh and getting baptized in the Holy Spirit was definitely a highlight ;)
Song: Holy Spirit
Artist: Bryan & Katie Torwalt
Album: Here On Earth
Lyrics:
How do we know that we are called? -> It's all over the Bible. Our God allows us to become part of His story by giving us the ministry of reconciliation. How awesome is that?! He doesn't need us, but he invites us as His friends. As we spread the Gospel, we have to be aware that suffering will come. At that point we remember the prize and ultimately, Jesus will lift us up and He will put us back on our feet. As we go and make disciples, He says that He will be with us and God doesn't break promises.
The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me, because the Lord has anointed me to bring good news to the poor; he has sent me to bind up the broken-hearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound. (Isaiah 61:1)-Spontaneous, with Purpose
No comments:
Post a Comment